I'm always searching for ways to make old favorites new again. Using coconut milk in this recipe gives it a refreshing hint of flavor that adds depth without overpowering the salad. You can make this salad uniquely yours by pairing it with fresh greens, sliced avocado, pecans, a handful of sweet carrots, or even hummus and Greek olives. Yum!
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 2 oz yellow onion (about 1/4 of a large onion)
- 1 oz fresh jalapeno pepper (1 pepper)
- 1.5 oz fresh red bell pepper (about 1/4 of a large pepper)
- 2 oz fresh corn - If possible, use fresh corn on the cob. Otherwise, use frozen corn and thaw it before adding it to the salad
- 7.5 oz black beans - If you are using canned beans, use organic, unsalted, non-BPA lining, and rinse the beans before adding to the salad
- Add quinoa, coconut milk, water, salt, and cumin to a 2 qt. pot and bring to a boil. Once the quinoa is boiling, cover the pot, reduce the heat to low and simmer the quinoa for 15 minutes. Then remove the pot from the heat and allow the quinoa to sit for another 5 minutes with cover on.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the vegetables: finely dice the onion, jalapeno pepper, and red bell pepper, cut the corn off the cob, rinse the black beans (if using canned)
- Once the quinoa is done, add all of the vegetables to the quinoa by gently folding them into the quinoa
- Salt and pepper to taste