Hi! My name is Christina Baker, and I started The Intuitive Cook as a Facebook page in 2014 as way to share recipes with family and friends. Fast forward to 2017, and I am now dedicating The Intuitive Cook to making the journey of being ridiculously healthy easier and FUN for all of us by creating recipes that are free of flour and added sugar.
A Few of My Favorite Things:
- Laughing until my stomach hurts
- And recently, being amazingly healthy
As for being amazingly healthy:
I’m committed and I’m trying. After turning 40, my resolve to be healthy has strengthened. I realized last year that I had actually achieved my health goals for life, but I wasn’t satisfied. Why? Because my goals didn’t reflect what I wanted. I was focused on what I DIDN’T WANT rather than what I DID WANT.
What was the catalyst for the shift?
Ladies. Specifically ladies who are in the range of 15-30 years older than me. These ladies are all around me, and they inspire me. They are in my workout classes and putting me to shame – big time! They are also in my pilgrimage group and preparing to walk 150 miles across the mountains of Spain with me. They are the inspiration. They are the catalyst.
How did my thinking change?
I stopped thinking, “I don’t want to be too obese, and I don’t want any major health problems.”
I started thinking, “I want to be full of energy and highly active as I grow older. I want the ability, energy, and motivation to climb mountains until the day I die. I want to live life to the maximum until my very last breath.”
Do you see the difference? The focus is different. The goals are different. The actions to achieve the goals must also be different.
I realized that while I had been successful in staving off obesity, I did not always feel energetic and able to climb mountains. If I don’t feel that way at 40, how can I expect to feel that way at 80? For that matter, when I don’t feel vibrant and healthy, I don’t have the energy to laugh, create, or travel. I don’t have the energy to do my favorite things. Is that really the kind of life I want?
What have I changed?
- My way of thinking about everything. I focus on what I want in EVERY area of my life rather than trying to prevent or fight what I don’t want.
- I started implementing my doctor’s advice.
- Started researching ways to stabilize blood-sugar levels through diet even though I am not diabetic.
- Started creating more recipes that reflect my new way of life.
- Ramped up my exercise routine.
- Signed up for a pilgrimage across Spain because I’m not waiting until I retire to start living.
What is my goal?
To make being extraordinarily healthy easier and FUN for everyone by crafting healthy and creative recipes.
What is my promise to you?
- The vast majority of my new recipes will be free of flour and added sugar.
- The occasional use of flour will be flours that do not cause a spike in blood sugar (e.g. coconut flour).
- The occasional use of sweetener will be in small enough quantities so that it does not result in a blood-sugar spike. It will also use natural, unrefined sweeteners such as raw honey or pure maple syrup.
- I will clearly call out any exceptions to the flour and sugar-free rule and will offer alternatives when possible.
Join me on this journey and invite your friends to get started with some great recipes now!